Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cruel as Humans?






Evening time has found my feeders vacant these past couple of days.  Tonight, however, I did have this little visitor.  A Brown Headed Cow Bird.  I was surprised to see him, as he was me, but he did not seem to mind as long as I did not get too close.  My movement about the yard didn't bother him either which was refreshing, since the only other visitors that don't mind me are the nuthatches and squirrels. 
Upon researching to identify this friendly fellow, I found an interesting fact concerning these birds.  
The female cow birds do not nest, they lay their eggs in other bird's nest, abandoning their babies in hopes that whatever host it happens upon ending up with will take care.
It saddens my heart to think that perhaps this little guy, all alone in the early evening, feeding solo, just may have been ostracized from a nest for his unique difference.  
Is it possible birds could be as cruel as humans?

No comments:

Post a Comment